Unarguably, the majority of people know what is farm tools but find it almost difficult to recall their names and their uses if the diagram of most of the simple farm tools is brought before them.
Due to the above concerns, we decided to comprehensively discuss in this article, what is farm tools and their uses, the classifications and importance of simple farm tools with diagrams of each farm tool.
This article can serve as a lesson note on farm tools for teachers, parents and guardians who wish to teach their pupils and children what farm tools are, their uses, importance and classifications.
What Are Farm Tools?
Simple farm tools are simple and handy farm equipment that are made up of either wooden or iron materials which are used on the farm for different agricultural activities.
Simple farm tools are solely operated by manpower while carrying out agricultural activities on the farm, unlike the mechanized farm equipment which does not necessarily require manpower to function.
In Nigeria, most of the farming operations are carried out with the help of simple farm tools because majority of the farmers practice subsistent agriculture which does not require sophisticated and heavy farm machineries and implements and also coupled with the very high-cost farm machineries.
Without much ado, let’s head straight to discuss the simple farm tools used on the farm.
Why is farm tool important?
Farming tools and equipment are a very essential tools every farmer should have.
These farm tools help make farming easier and more efficient.
Many farming products are created for a single task, while some are used for a number of purposes across the farm.
List Of Simple Farm Tools And Their Uses
Here is the list of simple farm tools used on the farm and their uses, classifications, etc.
Cutlass is the most common farm tool used in the farm for cutting purposes.
A cutlass is made up of two parts; the metal blade and the wooden part which are attached together.
The wooden part serves as the handle while the metal part is used for the cutting operation.
Uses Of Cutlass
Cutlass is widely used for many farm activities.
Some of the uses of the cutlass on the farm are;
- It is used for cutting down bushes and clearing grasses.
- It is used for planting crops and seeds
- It is used to harvest crops such as maize, cassava, etc.
The hoe is the second most used simple farm implement on the farm.
A hoe mainly consists of a metal blade that is attached to a very long wooden or metal handle.
The shape of the blade of the hoe could take any shape ranging from round to square shape.
Classifications of Hoe
Hoe is classified into two major categories namely;
a. The West African Hoe
The West African Hoe consists of a long wooden handle with a round metal blade attached to its base.
The metal blade is attached to the handle through its prong.
b. The West Indian Hoe
The West Indian Hoe consists of a rectangular blade attached to a long wooden handle.
The blade has a loop around the handle of the hoe
Uses Of Hoe
- Hoe is used for weeding.
- It is used to make ridges and heaps inside which crops are planted.
- Hoe is also used in the planting of some crops in the farm.
- It is also used for the harvesting of some crops.
The spade is one of the most common simple farm tools used in the farm.
It consists of a long metal or wooden handle and a broad sharp edge metal blade.
The sharp edge of the spade enables the spade to easily penetrate the soil.
The metal blade is also attached to the base of the long handle.
Uses Of The Spade
- The spade is used in the mixing of cement, sand and stone to form concrete during the construction of farm structures.
- It is used to level the soil to
- Spade is also used in turning over the soil especially to cover the seeds of some plants and also to support plant seedlings.
The shovel is similar to the spade both in appearance and use but the both have a slight difference in the shape of the blade.
The blade of the shovel is hollow and broad.
Its blade is not as deep as that of the spade with a rectangular or round edge.
Uses Of the Shovel.
- The shovel is used to level the soil
- It is also used to transfer soil, seedlings and other materials from one place to the other in the farm.
- Farmers use this tool to make garden parts and also to remove stones and rubbish.
- It is also used to mix concrete during the construction of farm structures.
Wheelbarrow is one of the most used and the most common simple farm tools used for different purposes on the farm.
Wheelbarrow is a large deep hollow metal container that has a wheel at the front, two handles at the rear and two legs under the base and also at the rear.
The wheelbarrow is set in motion by slightly lifting the two handles upward and applying a push force to it.
Uses of the Wheelbarrow
- The wheelbarrow is basically used as a farm tool to transport farm inputs such as seeds, fertilizers and farm outputs such as harvested crops, slaughtered animals and other loads from the farm to the market or other places.
- The wheelbarrow is also used to transplant seedlings.
- Moreso, the wheelbarrow is used to transport mixed concrete from the spot of the mixture to where it would be applied during the construction of the farm structures.
Rake is a simple farm tool which has a very long metal or wooden handle with a strong metal head attached to its base.
The metal head of the rake has several prongs which are very important to enable the rake to perform its functions.
Uses of the Rake
The rake is a simple farm tool used for multiple functions on the farm.
Below are some of the uses of rake on the farm.
- Rake is used to remove stones and weeds from seedbeds.
- It is used to spread the soil evenly after hoeing.
- To remove stones and weeds from seedbeds.
- Rake is also used to break soil lumps into smaller particles.
- It is used to cover vegetable seeds after broadcasting.
A watering can is a simple farm tool used to sprinkle water to seedlings and crops in the farm.
A watering can is simply a can fitted with a sprout and two handles.
The watering can is made with either metal or plastic material.
It has a sprout that is perforated over its mouth
The perforated metal or plastic sheet is called Rose.
The watering can has two handles which serve different purposes.
One handle is used to carry the watering can when it is being moved from one place to another while the other handle is used to hold the watering can during irrigation.
Uses of the Watering Can
- The watering can is used for artificial irrigation on the farm during the dry season.
- Watering can is also used to apply liquid fertilizer, wetting of cement blocks with water during the construction of farm structures and the application of water to seedlings in the nursery.
The sickle is a simple farm tool consisting of a sharp curved metal blade attached to a short metal or wooden handle.
The inner edge of the metal blade is sharp while the outer edge is blunt.
Uses of the Sickle
The sickle is used to harvest fruits or cereal crops and the light weeding of vegetable plants.
Mattock is a simple farm implement that consists of a wooden handle and a double–headed metal head.
Some people see the mattock as the combination of a small axe with a hoe.
Uses of the Mattock
Mattock is used to uproot small stumps, loosen and dig the soil, bush clearing and weeding.
A crowbar is a simple farm tool consisting of a long iron bar which is bent at one end.
Uses of The Crowbar
- The crowbar is used for the gradual movement of heavy loads.
- Crowbar is also used to dig holes for planting seeds.
The head pan is a simple farm tool consisting of a deep round hollow metal container with two handles directly opposite to each other.
The head pan has a wide round top and a smaller round bottom.
The handles are used to lift the head pan while carrying the content from one place to the other on the farm.
Uses of Head Pan
- A head pan is used on the farm for the collection of some harvested crops, transportation of small farm inputs and outputs, and the mixing of manure and fertilizer.
- Also, the head pan is used to transport sand, gravel, and mixed concrete during the construction of farm structures.
The hand trowel is a simple farm implement that consists of a short metal or wooden handle and a metal scooped-shape blade.
The scoop-shaped metal blade is used to carry seedlings together with the small ball of the earth during transplanting.
Uses of Hand Trowel
Below are some of the uses of hand trowels on the farm.
- A hand trowel is used for transplanting seedlings on the farm.
- It is also used for fertilizer or manure application,
- It is also used for light weeding and the mixing of soil and fertilizers.
- It is also used to apply concrete and mortar during the construction of farm structures.
A harvesting knife is a simple farm tool which consists of a long wooden handle with a small curved metal blade attached to its edge.
In the classification of farm tools harvesting knives could be safely classified together with the sickle because the harvesting knife is similar to the sickle both in appearance and usage but they’re slightly different in some features.
But the major difference is that the harvesting knife is bigger and longer than the sickle.
Uses of the Harvesting Knife
- A harvesting knife is used to harvest some cash crops like cocoa, oil palm, mango, oranges and kola nut.
- It is also used for light pruning.
The manure drag consists of a handle attached to tines.
The number of tines could be four or five at the base of the handle of the manure drag.
The tines have ends pointed at right-angles to the handle to facilitate digging.
Uses of the Manure Drag
The manure is used especially on animal farms to dig farm-yard manure.
The garden fork is a simple farm tool that consists of four strong metal prongs or teeth which are tapered to a point on the handle.
The garden fork is majorly found on animal farms or a farm involved in the cultivation of crops and animal husbandry.
Uses of the Garden Fork
- The garden fork is used in the production of compost manure.
- It is also used to loosen the soil before removing the seedlings for transplanting.
- It is also used to load manure in the absence of the shovel.
An axe is a farm tool consisting of a strong wooden or metal handle and a hard metal blade with a sharpened edge.
The axe is usually held strongly with both hands during use.
Uses Of Axe
- The axe is used to split or cut wood
- It is also used to uproot tree stumps.
The pick axe is a farm implement which has a long wooden handle and a metal head with double blades.
One of the blades of the pick axe is shaped so that it has a big and sharp pointed edge while the other blade has the shape of a small and narrow hoe.
This feature distinguishes the pick axe from the axe itself.
Uses of the Pick Axe
Pick Axe is used for the removal of the roots of big trees, tilling of very hard soils and the making of ridges.
Knowing what is farm tools and their uses, and classifications, and being able to recognize these simple farm tools when the pictures and diagrams of any of the simple farm tools are being presented is a very important topic that should be taught in primary and secondary schools across the nation.
This comprehensive article on what is farm tools and their uses and classifications could serve as a lesson note on simple farm tools for teachers in both primary and secondary in Nigeria.
Before we go, here are examples of simple farm tools.
- Garden Fork
- Hand Fork
- Hand Trowel
- Pick Axe
- Head pan
- Watering can
- Harvesting knife
- Manure Drag