The Government of Canada is currently accepting applications for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 from eligible candidates worldwide. This prestigious fellowship program awards approximately 70 fellowships annually, with around 140 awards active at any given time.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships aim to provide funding to exceptional postdoctoral applicants, both domestically and internationally, who will contribute to Canada’s economic, social, and research-based growth.
The fellowship program is sponsored by the Government of Canada and is specifically designed for postdoctoral research. Recognized universities in Canada serve as host institutions for the fellowships.
Successful fellows will receive a stipend of $70,000 per year to support their research and career development. A total of 70 fellowships are awarded each year, offering an excellent opportunity for postdoctoral researchers.
The primary objectives of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program are as follows:
- Attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally.
- Foster the leadership potential of fellows.
- Prepare fellows for successful research leadership roles in the future.
Eligibility criteria for the fellowship include the following:
- Non-Canadian applicants must hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from a foreign university can only hold the fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from a Canadian university can hold the fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
Applicants are responsible for preparing and submitting their applications. It is crucial to ensure that the application is complete, including all required host institution documents and referee assessments.
Before starting the application, applicants should carefully review the Selection Committee Guide, which outlines the evaluation criteria and provides helpful information on how applications are assessed. The selection committees for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are multidisciplinary, so applications should be written with a non-specialist research audience in mind.
The application deadline will be updated and applicants should refer to the official website for the most current information.